Friday, November 12, 2010

My Teddy Bear

My professor asked us to do a reaction on this, and still I couldn't think of not including Dale in it.



THREE LETTERS FROM TEDDY

If ever a moral lesson was asked of me about this piece, they are compassion and perseverance -- two traits that any teacher should have to reach the ultimate potential of every student.

I wanted to become a teacher since I was young; however, I wasted my time when I grew up. I lost a clear goal and went on to a different path. I was not happy. I eventually became a teacher, a little too late, but still with perseverance, I have managed it.

Along the way, God gave me three wonderful children, one of whom he wrapped in special gold paper and labeled it with “handle with care.” When he turned two, I learned why. He was diagnosed as having autism. I dropped everything and concentrated on making him better. When he did get better, I returned my attention to teaching. There were obstacles along the way like getting sick, but eventually I also got well.

I had the chance to teach for a year in a classroom setting. There I learned compassion. I found out that no two children were alike and that some children need more attention than others. I am also not a hypocrite to say that I didn’t have favorites, because I did. =)

However, God gave me another trial and made me sick again. It did not stop me from continuing my education. I still am praying for healing so I can teach again; if not as a preschool teacher, then as a college professor. Now, even though I do not teach in a classroom setting, I get to teach my children still, especially my son.

So, here I am. Unlike Miss Thompson, I didn’t have a Teddy in my previous classroom, but I have a Teddy Bear forever in my heart. He is now sitting beside me, asking me how I can finish my “homework” if I keep on checking my tweets.

“Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another.” -- Walter Elliott

No comments: