Thursday, August 23, 2012

Are you SPED teacher material?

photo credit: http://www.ideadeaf.org
When I learned about my son's condition, I studied special education and wanted to become a SPED teacher.  However, as I witnessed my son grow in the SPED school with his teachers, I noticed how hard it was to be a parent, and a SPED teacher as separate persons, what more if I became both?  As much as I would love to help, I will never compromise my children's well-being over others.  So, I bid adieu to becoming a SPED teacher and focused first on getting my son all better.

In conversing with his teachers and from observation, I learned that to become a SPED teacher, one has to have the following:

1.  An inherent love for children

Not just for special children, but for every child.  Teachers are second parents.  They should play the role of primary caregiver when the children are within their care.  All children have needs and these differ with every child.  Knowing the nature of a child is crucial for every teacher.

2.  Loads of Patience

Since special children need special care, teachers should have more than the usual amount of patience.  Some special children learn slower than usual, others are too hyperactive, while others are too talkative.  Just imagine a room with five to ten children with different disorders.  If a teacher cannot handle this situation, then she is not fit to become a SPED teacher.

3.  Diploma/Certification

All professionals have certain qualifications to meet in order to work in the Philippines.  A SPED teacher requires a diploma in Bachelor of Elementary Education major in Special Education.  An individual who wishes to become a SPED teacher but has a different field of study may opt to take a certification, or a Master's degree, which will take about two years to complete.

To find schools offering SPED courses, go to FindUniversity.ph

4.  Good working relationship with other professionals

Teachers of special children need to work with other professionals such as doctors, therapists, and counselors.  It is important that you understand your responsibilities with each one and that you do not overstep theirs.

5.  A wild imagination

Children have them, so should you.  It helps to keep children on their toes since most of them also do not like being bored with nothing to do.

I may have three or four of these traits, but maybe it is still not up to me alone.  I had to think of my family since I am a mother already when I started studying SPED.

Teaching is said to be one of the noblest professions.  If you have a calling to teach, then do it.  However, if you are unsure, it is best to seek another profession.  Teaching is not just arts and crafts and pretty little things.  Teaching is tears, bugs, dirt, and mucus.  Just think of all the children whose minds and dreams you might damage along your way if you're just doing this out of a whim.

If you're still sure that you want to care for God's special children, there is a 24-unit Special Education Certification Program at the Philippine Normal University.  They also have a Graduate Program with streams in teaching children with intellectual, visual, and auditory disabilities.  Check out PNU's website here.


No comments: